Post by Chris Higgins on Jan 23, 2014 21:32:19 GMT -6
While this is a new home, the morethanweatherstl forum and Chris's Corner have their origins from the old myfoxstl.com blogs. The old-timers will all point to one specific event that truly gave birth to what we have today. It was the prolific ice/snow storm of November 30-December 1,2006. Since then, this forum has grown in numbers and knowledge. Our members stretch from young high school aged weather enthusiasts to degreed meteorological professionals. We also have a large number of emergency management professionals and civic and school leaders who monitor this blog--it's all because of the quality of information that is shared here.
In the past, I've stayed away from posting specific rules. However, now seems like a good time to put into words some of the "Golden Rules" I've insisted on all along.
1) Be respectful...period! Honest and constructive criticism is fine....hate speech, personal attacks or foul language IS NOT! In general, if something derogatory is proceeded by the word "you" it's probably going to get moderated.
2) Be truthful...period! Exaggerated or false reports will not be tolerated.
3) Obey copyright laws...period! If you post images, graphics, maps, pictures, text... or any other physical or intellectual property from another source... YOU MUST DISCLOSE AND GIVE CREDIT TO THE SOURCE!
4) As a general rule, I don't care what other media outlets are saying about the weather nor do I ever want to be asked a question about why my forecast is different than theirs or what they are thinking. If you want to know why another outlet is forecasting something, I suggest you contact them directly.
5) SNOWFALL MAPS: There will be a strict policy prohibiting the posting of model derived snowfall or ice accumulation maps for any period beyond day 5. In addition, I strongly urge, although do not prohibit, folks to refrain from posting model snowfall maps any sooner than 3 days prior to an event. We all know how incredibly inaccurate these maps are beyond day 3..and even more so beyond day 5. This rule's purpose is meant to prevent widespread misunderstanding and misinformation.
Please understand that I make the Rules Of The Road and that I may change the lines inside which you may color at any time. Ultimately, it's my corner of the internet and my name that is on the record. So I reserve the right to do what I must do to keep this a quality place for weather junkies to come and hang out.
This forum is in no way associated with nor is it operated by my employer, KTVI-TV. Any views, comments or opinions I share here are explicitly mine and NOT those of KTVI-TV or its parent company. Likewise, all comments made by members, moderators or other administrators are strictly their own - whether I agree with them or not. The fact that any particular comment remains on the site, whether I agree with it or not in no way constitutes an endorsement of those views by me.
These rules may be expanded at a later date if necessary.